Thursday, May 26, 2011

"The only man a girl can depend on is her daddy"

My father can be found reading car and fishing magazines while watching his favorite movie on television even though he has it on DVD and VHS. He can tell you everything you need to know about Bass fishing in every kind of weather, what kind of car is coming down the street by the sound of it, the great American game of baseball and building a house. He grew up in Detroit, Michigan with his parents and two older sisters. He really is the opposite of a statistic considering he had a father who blamed his unhappiness on his only son, who turned out to be an incredible, patient and loving dad. He was almost in the major leagues of baseball and raced boats in countries that people only dream of going. He was married once before my mom and got divorced because, oddly enough, he didn't want children. His mother planned the same dinners each day of the week which explains his love for routine. He was the definition of 'alcoholic' until the day my sister was born and hasn't had a drop for almost 28 years, the most admiring fact being that he doesn't even miss it. He does, however, drink O'Douls because he misses the taste of beer. He eats porkchops, spaghetti and hot dogs for dinner which he washes down with milk in a glass that has been in the freezer all day (I'm convinced that if we made him eat healthy he would have a heart attack). He's creative, stress-free and funnier than anyone I could ever have the pleasure of meeting. He wouldn't be my dad without glasses, a basebal cap with a curved bill and a shirt featuring a car show from 1994. If I could marry a man that is half the man my dad is, I will be the luckiest girl in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment